Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Colin Page Workshop II and "Barn Color" - SOLD

On Saturday afternoon we painted the barn again, using a limited palette of titanium white, ultramarine blue, cadmium yellow medium, and for most people quinacridone red. I used phthalo red rose, which is also a red that leans toward blue. Colin wanted us to explore the range of colors that we could make with that palette. The idea was to pay close attention to both the value changes and the color changes in the contiguous shapes. Looking back on it, I think that palette, which cannot make saturated greens, works well on an overcast day. And on that kind of day it is easier to see the values as well as the color. But it could have been warmer! My effort is above (6"x8" oil).

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the heads up. I really like this red background showing through a green painting. Those reds are some of my faves. Nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try that limited palette. I like the Qinacridone Red, but I had a hard time using the Prussian Blue.

    ReplyDelete