Monday, September 28, 2009

Oil Value Sketch #1 "Porter's Landing Pine"

I really enjoy doing gouache value studies, especially of trees. But I have noticed that the way I handle the paint isn't the same with gouache and oil. I'd like to be able to move the paint around on an oil like I do with gouache. So I thought it would be a good learning experience to try the value sketches in oil. This is maybe my third attempt, after starting on Sunday morning. I tried to use brushes as soft as I use with gouache (softer than my normal oil brushes), and so the major difference is that the gouache dries quickly, so you can paint over and into it while it is tacky. This doesn't happen with the oils (unless you wait until the next day!). I think with this one I am starting to get it.

And for those who are missing the color, it's coming back, just give me a couple of more days!

2 comments:

  1. This is a good idea Bobbi- I struggle with values and might use this exercise myself!I l like the absract quality that emerged here...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Sally. I like the abstractness too. I think it works best when you let the number of values speak to you from the reference material. Sometimes four, other times maybe only three, or maybe five are needed.

    ReplyDelete