Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Nauset Marsh

"Nauset Marsh"
8"x10" oil on Raymar panel

Last month I visited Cape Cod with my dear friend Mary. We went gallery hopping and also managed to get out for a beautiful painting session at Fort Hill in Eastham. This is the view from the parking lot across the marsh to Nauset Beach and the old Coast Guard Station.


I've also included a photo of the painting at the end of that session. You can see that I had some adjustments to make, pulling in the marsh in the foreground and adjusting the values of the marsh grass (lighter) and water (darker). I don't usually modify my plein air paintings, but this one needed it. And if I showed you my original thumbnail, the composition would look a lot more like the finished painting...

Also wonderful on this trip, were the painters that we met. Our first morning, as we headed up Commercial St. in Wellfleet, we saw a fellow painting on the side of the road near Uncle Tim's Bridge. Of course we had to stop and admire his work, and it was well worth admiring. It was Michael Davis, and he very kindly answered our questions about the painting, and told us which galleries to visit to view more of his work. I don't think he has a website, so take a look at his work on the Kiley Court Gallery site (Provincetown) and the Left Bank Gallery site (Wellfleet). What a great painter and nice man!

1 comment:

  1. Sitôt après je m'en vais visiter le site de ce grand peintre...
    Je suis très heureuse de pouvoir admirer votre peinture en plein air... d'un lieu que j'ai eu la chance de visiter il y a bientôt 3 ans... en me rendant à Cape Cod. Je venais apporter et assister au vernissage de printemps de la Blue Heron Gallery où est exposée une partie de mon travail.

    J'aime beaucoup les nuances de couleur de cette dernière peinture ainsi que la capture de son atmosphère si sereine.

    Gros bisous.

    ReplyDelete