Monday, September 30, 2013

"Downtown Monhegan"

"Downtown Monhegan"
8"x10" oil on linen panel

the painting on the easel, it became overcast as I finished up


the initial drawing

This is my favorite painting from my trip last week to Monhegan Island. And it was the first one that I painted! As I headed towards the Trailing Yew, where I was staying, I noticed the wonderful shade provided by the shed on the right of the middle picture (where all the signs are posted). I wouldn't even need to set up the umbrella! So I quickly got my gear organized and came right out to take advantage of the sun, blue sky, and blissful shade.

Now this is the main drag on Monhegan and the daily tour boats were due in over the next couple of hours, so I knew it wasn't going to be the easiest place to paint. But I've had a photo of this scene taken years ago, with my husband standing in the road, that I've always wanted to paint. So I went at it, and it was such fun. I got lots of comments as people streamed by, and enjoyed listening to bird watchers commenting on the warblers in the bush behind me. I didn't include any figures, I'll tackle them in a larger studio version.

1 comment:

  1. You did so well with the poor light! Very nice.
    How were the accommodations ;) ?

    ReplyDelete