Sunday, January 4, 2015

ArtRage 10 Minute Apples

ArtRage apple #4
8.5"x8.5"" digital, all done in ArtRage (no image underneath)

I love Carol Marine's 10 minute apple exercise. It's a great way to get your painting muscles into shape and to learn your tools. Do you think I got better as I progressed from #1 to #4?




I usually set the apple on a green cloth to do this exercise, but I couldn't find the cloth when I started out, so the apple was sitting on a cardboard box. Yuck! Off to look for the cloth again, and I found it. I also raised the surface so I wasn't looking down on the apple as much.

I've had a few questions about ArtRage works, so here goes. I'm using the iPad version, which isn't as full featured as that for a desktop, but it has the advantage that you can touch the screen, and paint with your finger (numbers 1-3 were done that way), or with a special stylus brush made for phones and tablets (number 4). Here's what the app looks like on the iPad screen:


You can see the tools on the left that we use to paint with, and note I was using the brush (it's sticking out a little). On the bottom right is the palette. It's a little hard to get used to, and I learned something doing these apples. You can drag your finger (or the blunt end of the stylus) in the outer wheel to change color, and in the inner wheel to change the value (going around) and the grayness (going in and out). I hadn't used the drag before, and it's very helpful.

Here's the Stylus Brush, by Sensu (available on amazon.com).


I recorded the brush strokes on each of these apples, but I'm going to have to do some research on how to play it back where you all can see it. You need the app to play it back, but that only works on a desktop/laptop. So I'll have to make that happen and then do a screen recording. I'll give it a shot.



1 comment:

  1. Number 4 definitely looks the best to me - better modulation of value around the apple.

    You seem to be going great guns with ArtRage. I have to say I've tried them all (ipad/android/windows) and still struggle. There's no comparison to the response of paper/pencil/brush. Is there a secret?

    ReplyDelete