Saturday, March 7, 2015

People in Paintings

 "Littlejohn Dock"
8"x10" oil on Raymar panel

 Close up of the man on the dock

Man pulling wagon, my model

"Becky's Dock"
8"x10" oil on Raymar panel - plein air
SOLD

Sometimes a painting resonates with multiple people and I get asked if I have any more like it. This happens most often with local scenes that have memories for lots of people. It also helps if one of your state representatives uses it on their campaign literature! Thanks, Janice Cooper, Maine State Rep for Yarmouth, for that.

So when Beth from Yarmouth Frame and Gallery emailed asking if I'd done any more painting of the dock at Littlejohn Island, I thought, why not do another? And then, how do I want to make it different? I decided to use different people. In the original plein air piece a couple of guys had been lounging on the dock for a few minutes, and I'd started with them, but found they became Janice and her daughter, Becky. This time I wanted more action, and I looked through boating magazines until I found a guy pulling a wagon. He was dressed in winter clothes, but that didn't matter, all I was looking for was the stride. It's amazing how little you need to make a person look pretty life like. And it makes the painting tell a different story.


No comments:

Post a Comment