Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Value Study I - Penobscot Bay

I have been reading Bob Rohm's "The Painterly Approach" (available on amazon.com). I was taken with his description of Carlson's proposal that four values are sufficient to interpret a landscape. I spent a little time going through photos, looking for appropriate scenes to try this with. This is my first attempt, in gouache. Looks like I have five values here, so I didn't quite make it, but it was an interesting challenge. I used the color photo as a reference and then when I was done compared it with the photo made grayscale in Photoshop. Not bad.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, Bobbi, great concept and then to compare what you've done with the photoshop grayscale version... genius!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bobbi -
    I like these studies a lot and its a really good exercise. I'm always needing reminders to do this kind of thing. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, JanettMarie,

    I enjoyed your version of the gray scale experiment too.

    Robin,

    I get such great ideas from your blog. It is nice to be able to reciprocate.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete