Tuesday, November 24, 2009

10 Minute Apples and Workshop in Damariscotta


This is an exercise I wanted to practice for a workshop I am teaching at River Arts in Damariscotta, Maine (my first!) at the end of January. The workshop is about daily painting (tips and tricks for painting small and fast) and blogging (how to set up a blog on blogger, which gadgets are good for what, etiquette, etc.). After our two Saturday sessions, those who want to, can set up their blog and the rest of us will read the posts and make comments for a month, and then we will get together for dinner and share experiences. I think it is going to be a lot of fun!

In the exercise above, I gave myself 10 minutes to do each painting (well, maybe 11...). They go 1) top left, 2) top right, 3) bottom left, 4) bottom right. #4 is shown finished in the bottom image. I divided an 8"x8" Raymar panel into four equal squares, and used the same palette for each. The only thing that was different was the experience gained in the previous few minutes, and it really did make a difference. Don't you think #4 is the best?

For more information on the workshop, here's a link to the workshop page on the River Arts site. I have taken two workshops there, and I am very impressed with what they have to offer. I am thrilled to be teaching this class for them! If you want more details about the class, please email me.

6 comments:

  1. I can really see how this works! Nice apples. I wish I lived closer - I would take the workshop!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sally,

    Thanks for the comment. It is amazing what a difference knowing you only have 10 minutes makes. And doing it again and again just makes it better. The thing that was a surprise to me was how much fun it was.

    I wish you were nearby as well. I would love to meet you face to face.

    Bobbi

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe you painted that apple in such a short time. I love the colors of green that you used. Can't wait to hear how the workshop goes. And, yes, I think #4 is the best, but it's interesting to see how you got there via the other paintings.
    Kay

    ReplyDelete
  4. The apple exercise is wonderful and your apple is perfect! I am really interested in your blog workshop as I have been approached to teach one myself. Are you going to talk about any of the services such as statcounter.com? I just started using it for my blog and it is so informative. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Kay and Leslie, I really think the workshop will be a lot of fun. I imagine I will learn as much as the students do. And Leslie, yes, I do plan to go over things like statcounter.com in a section on "what do you want to measure?". I am really enjoying planning the class, and it is giving me new ideas for my blog, to add to the great ideas I have gotten from others (like you, Leslie!). The 10 minute exercises came from Carol Marine and Peggy Kroll-Roberts via Fay Christian Phillips.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you're teaching this workshop. I want to hear all about it. These demos are excellent and yes, #4 is the best.

    ReplyDelete