Monday, September 8, 2014

"Churchy At LowTide"

"Churchy At Low Tide"
8"x8" oil on Raymar panel
plein air

Color block-in

Value Underpainting

This week I've been taking a walk to our family cottage in the afternoons to see where the tide has deposited each of the rowboats. Every day it's different. Today, Churchy was in a nice position to paint her from the rocks. I wanted to use what I learned last week with Anne Blair Brown, so I did a value study in burnt sienna, then a color block in, and finally looked for shapes within the shapes (this last is the hardest part for me). I think I am starting to get it.

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    J'aime voir l'évolution d'une peinture... Merci pour ce charmant partage. Cette petite embarcation nous entraîne à la rêverie agréablement. J'aime vos nuances de couleurs et la lumière qui les illuminent.
    Nul doute que ce fut un grand bonheur que de peindre sur les rochers...
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for showing the steps you used to get this result. Your drawing is excellent; the painting is strong because of that and your good organization of values. Churchy is a worthy and much loved subject.

    ReplyDelete