Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Abstract 3

My approach with the abstracts so far has been to draw a bunch of pencil lines, letting them form shapes where they cross, and then drawing over the ones I like best with a pen (dark in the first two paintings and light in this one). I like the lines and am not quite ready to give them up. For this painting the lines are also painted, covering the light pen underneath. The color makes shapes from the lines. Then I got a little wild with the "face paint" and echo marks. Abstract 3 is in gouache.

Too busy? Overdose of color? Let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. I like the first abstract the best. It has a sort of psychological quality, an evocative, undefinable, subterranean-ness. It feels like you're exploring something you can't quite catch, which makes it very appealing. I think I'd like this one better if you had only the crossing lines and left off the top coating of zigzags, etc. Then you'd have just the arching fields of color, some small and some larger. It looks a bit too finished to me. (and, of course, take all this with a boulder of salt, since I'm no artist)

    ReplyDelete