Saturday, February 20, 2010

"Lucky Lady" - SOLD

"Lucky Lady"
6"x6" oil on canvas panel

February has been a month for experimenting and trying new things. I spent some time with acrylic inks (fun) and acrylics (ugh) after being inspired by Scottish painter, Claire Harrigan. Take a look at her wonderful colorful and abstract still lifes and landscapes. I will need to spend more time with those ideas before I have anything to show. Then it was on to a project that has been in my mind for a long time, really learning how to paint boats. I've done a couple on the blog, but have never felt really comfortable that I was getting things right. So I thought if I did 10 or 20, I might get somewhere. I started with some sketches (see previous posts) and this is my first painting, of the lobster boat Lucky Lady, out of East Boothbay. We happened on her pulling traps on one of our trips up to Boothbay in our boat.

One year ago today, was my first post to this blog! I want to thank everyone for their support and interest over the last year. This has been such a wonderful experience. I have learned even more than I expected to, about mixing color, about composition, about painting deliberately, and about having fun. And I have met some really wonderful people, as we comment on each other's blogs and join in on challenges.

http://bobbiheath.blogspot.com
www.bobbiheath.com

6 comments:

  1. And I am a lucky lady to have found your blog!
    Nice boat- they are a challenge for sure- but you have been so dillgent with the drawings- it paid off! Congratulations on your one year!
    WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Acrylic paints are so difficult! I feel like they're the worst parts of watercolors mixed with the worst parts of oils! So tricky.
    I love the orange reflection in the water!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I spent a weekend kayaking with my son and his Scout troop in Casco Bay in August. I think we saw the Lucky Lady. Or a boat just like her. Nice color and composition, and I love the reflection of the lobsterman's oilskins in the water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been waiting to see what the Lucky Lady would look like as a painting after the wonderful drawings you had done. The Lucky Lady is just as nice as a painting as it is a sketch. Congratulations on your 1 year anniversary. It is a bonus to us all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you all for your support! It is so nice to have your thoughts and encouragement. And Anonymous, are you the one who left me the excellent questions on my earlier post about what I learned in Carol Marine's class? Do please email and let me know who you are, so I can add you to those who participate in the monthly painting giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great painting Bobbi!
    Congrats on your one year anniversary!!
    Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete