Friday, December 18, 2009

"A Spoon Full of Sugar"

"A Spoon Full of Sugar"
6"X6" oil on canvas panel

This painting was inspired by a gouache study I did in my first week of daily painting last February, a piece that I was very pleased with. The subject is a butter dish from Chipping Campden Pottery in England, that I bought on a visit there with a good friend many years ago. We have always used it as a sugar bowl. Just like the first time, this one pretty much fell off the brush, and I was happy with it all the while I was working. I do think there is something about one's pleasure with the subject that makes the painting more like fun and less like work. But do we learn more from the ones that are more like work? I'm not sure.

3 comments:

  1. Bobbi this is just delicious. It's very well done and gives me a warm feeling.
    Bravo! Don't you love it when the paintings seem to paint themselves?
    It is true if you love your subject it works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do remember the first sugar bowl well. It is a great one. I like this painting too, particularly the light in the bowl.
    I can relate to the pleasure and the fun of painting a subject that speaks to you. I worked on a couple of commissions a few months ago and I found it very challenging to paint subjects picked by someone else and that I may not have necessarily chosen to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, it's fabulous. Beautifullu drawn. Beautiful brushwork.

    ReplyDelete