Wednesday, March 9, 2011

"Daffodils"

"Daffodils"
5"x5" gouache on paper

I like to experiment using gouache. It handles a lot like oils, and the color mixing is the same. But it dries fast, which is useful when experimenting and when time is short (isn't it always?). This experiment is about abstraction. Abstraction simplifies things in a way. It's about composition and about values. Is that surprising considering how colorful this painting is? I think you get to choose the composition and the color, but the values have to be right for the composition. There are more layers on the blue part of this painting because that was where I struggled the most finding those values.

Upcoming workshops:
-- That I am teaching: Daily Painting and Blogging in Damariscotta, ME, April 30 - May 1, 2011
-- That I am hosting: Liz Wiltzen Plein Air Painting in South Freeport, ME, Aug. 19-21, 2011

http://bobbiheath.blogspot.com
www.bobbiheath.com

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful painting! Even from the small avatar I knew that was daffodils. Love daffodils:) Like the abstract quality and you nailed the values.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bobbi, I forgot you use gouache! I'm experimenting with it right now. I does have the consistency of oils.... ooo.. gotta go paint!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun, Bobbi! Nice colors, hope your show was a success. I have been away a lot, sorry I couldn't make it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the color and strong abstract qualities! Very nice work!

    ReplyDelete