Tuesday, May 31, 2011

"Summer Lupines"

"Summer Lupines"
8"x6" oil on Raymar panel

Summer Lupines in process

The lupines are in bloom at Great Brook State Park and they are gorgeous. I've been struggling this last week, with lots of wipers to my credit. On this one, I wiped off the whole bottom half of the painting and made a second try, which you see here. The bottom photo shows my approach on the second pass, to cover the grass and flower area with blocks of color giving the basic composition. Then I came back in with strokes of color on top, first with the lupines and then using the green to shape the negative space around them. In version one, too much of the orangey-yellow background was showing through.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Bobbi! This is really nice-I love the end result so the struggles paid off. We don't have lupines here but I remember how beautiful they are in MA.

    ReplyDelete