Saturday, January 26, 2013

Nagog Pond #1


  Nagog Pond #1, River in the Ice
5"x7" oil on Fredrix canvas panel

Nagog Pond #1 drawing

Nagog Pond Value Sketch, late afternoon
8"x10" oil on Raymar panel

It seems like this is the winter of experimentation, here in bitterly cold New England. First there were lemons, and then bigger paintings. I'd also like to do some variations on a landscape composition, looking at color. At first, I wasn't sure if this view of Nagog Pond would work, but the more time I spent there, the more sunsets I saw, and as the ice came and went, and came back, I found a lot to inspire me. So here goes, Nagog Pond #0 (a value study from late October), and variation #1, thinking of evening, and rivers in the ice. I used a limited palette of yellow ochre, alizarin crimson, black, and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment