Thursday, July 31, 2014

Paint Night at the Gallery - Saturday, August 23rd

Paint Night Sunflowers Try 1
14"x11" acrylic on canvas 


Paint Night Sunflowers Try 2
14"x11" acrylic on canvas

Sunflowers Try 2 drawing

In conjunction with our show opening Saturday at Yarmouth Frame and Gallery, which includes three large sunflower paintings, we're doing a Paint Night at the Gallery. I'm teaching it, so I've been practicing sunflowers in acrylic, and trying to come up with a composition that anyone can manage, while sipping their wine.

The top image is my first try (not counting the one where I used a hog brush - such a bad idea with acrylic!). The gallerista and I though this might be too complicated. So Try 2 is a simplified version. Both are much simplified over my 20"x16" Sunflower oil painting in the show. The bottom image shows the drawing for Try 2, where marks are made to indicate the middle of each side, the top and bottom, and also the center. That's part of the approach I'll use to teach the drawing.

I'd like to send a big thank you to JanettMarie, who gave me some good advice on how much to simplify the painting.

If you'd like to participate in Paint Night at the Gallery, please call the gallery at 207-846-7777 to register. I'd love to have you join us!

No comments:

Post a Comment