Wednesday, March 11, 2020

The Trouble with Buoys

Kittery Buoys II
12"x12" oil on canvas

I've had my troubles with lobster buoys, they're out there on the bay waiting for the careless mariner, and sometimes that's me. I remember once near Five Islands, wrapping one around the prop of our sailboat. Fortunately we were able to get loose from it without anyone going overboard in a wet suit!

Buoy #14 
6"x6" oil on canvas panel

On the other hand, they are beautiful, floating on a calm sea or bouncing in the spray. And they are colorful, which suits my purposes well. Rarely do I get to paint a floating lobster buoy from life, so I spend some time on the water taking pictures of them. It's tough unless our boat is going slow, at 10 knots I'm not such a good shot. I've deleted quite a few pictures where the buoy is sliding off the side of the photo.

Buoy #3
6"x6" oil on canvas panel

They make a great subject hanging on a wall as well, so I've recently spent some time searching for lobster shacks or neighbor's garages displaying them. Singly or in groups, I've been so pleased with how much you all have liked these buoy paintings. It's good to know that I'm not the only one who finds them a great reminder of time on the coast.

Buoy #2 
6"x6" oil on canvas panel

With buoys, as with dinghies, I'm more interested in the light and dark patterns than the actual colors in the photographs. Since lobstermen and women can paint them in any colors and patterns they choose, I feel we artists can do the same.

If you enjoyed this blogpost, and don't get my weekly emails, I'd love to have you sign up to receive notifications of new posts at the bottom of this page.

No comments:

Post a Comment