Friday, July 24, 2009

"Apple and Banana" Art Photography Experiment



It was pouring today, so there was no painting outside. After wiping off a more complicated still life, I settled on this simple composition.

I have been unhappy with my painting photography and thought today was a good one for some experimentation. The two photos above show two different cameras and processes, both taken with the painting in the same lighting. The top view was with my 3.3 megapixel 9 year old Olympus, followed by adjusting the levels in Photoshop. The lower view is from my friend Suzanne's Pentax with minimal processing using the HP software from her printer. Several photos were taken with each camera with different white balance settings and we chose the result that best matched the color of the painting, which turned out to be the auto setting. Is it time for a new camera? "Apple and Banana" is a 6"X6" oil.

3 comments:

  1. Sigh....my camera is 2.1 MP and is 10 years old. I still think it does a fine job.
    Is it me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't see a huge difference here is what I meant to say.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary, my friend Robert also said that there's not much difference, and I agree with you. The version from my camera is perhaps a little darker, but it is not very noticeable. I think Suzanne's set up (which was used for both) is particularly good. She has daylight bulbs, a stand for the painting with a white board behind it, and the camera on a tripod. She can set it up in about a minute. That's what I need!

    ReplyDelete